Local News

Suspect in Fashion Island Shooting “Unhappy with Life”

NEWPORT BEACH (KTLA) — More information is surfacing about a man accused of firing more than 50 rounds in a parking lot at a busy shopping mall in Newport Beach on Saturday.

The suspect, identified as Marcos Gurrola, 42, was booked on a charge of shooting at an inhabited dwelling. He is being held on $250,000 bail.

No one was injured by the shots, which were fired either into the air or at the ground near the Macy’s department store around 4:30 p.m.

One person was hurt fleeing the scene, but the injury was not considered serious, authorities said.

After his arrest, Gurrola reportedly told police that he was “unhappy with life.”

Reports that Gurrola had been living in his car were accurate, Newport Beach police Lt. Jon Lewis said.

Online jail records listed Gurrola’s occupation as a “patrolman,” but  Lewis said he had no additional details other than saying Gurrola did not work in law enforcement.

State records showed Gurrola was a registered guard/patrol person with the Bureau of Security and Investigation Services. That license expires in January 2013.

A handgun was also recovered at the scene, but police did not reveal any more details about the weapon.

The state’s landmark assault-weapons law, which went into effect in 2000, banned the use of handgun magazines with more than 19 bullets.

The mall was crowded with holiday shoppers at the time of the shooting.

Some stores were immediately locked down, and many shoppers posted messages on Facebook and Twitter saying they were locked inside.

Shopper Dena Nassef told the Los Angeles Times that she and another person were walking toward Macy’s when people started yelling and running.

“With what happened in Connecticut, we were freaking out,” she said. “It was like crazy, people leaving stores.”

Newport Beach police have said the incident was not related to the deadly shooting at a Connecticut elementary school the day before.

On Friday, a man opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., killing 20 children and six adults before turning the gun on himself.

The suspected gunman, Adam Lanza, 20, also killed his mother before the rampage began, police said.

Advertisement

Advertisement