Burned Remains Identified as Ex-Cop Dorner – Chris Burrous Reports

BIG BEAR, Calif. (KTLA) — Remains found in a burned cabin have been positively identified as those of fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner.

“The charred human remains located in the burned out cabin in Seven Oaks have been positively identified to be that of Christopher Dorner,” the San Bernardino County Sheriff and coroner’s office said in a written statement.

“During the autopsy, positive identification was made through dental examination,” the statement said. No cause of death was given.

The charred body was found in the rubble of the cabin that burned down after a dramatic gun battle Tuesday afternoon.

Dorner’s last stand with law enforcement came after a gun battle with San Bernardino deputies that brought his death toll up to four.

Dorner seriously wounded one deputy and killed another. Deputy Jeremiah MacKay leaves behind a wife and two young children.

“The deputy sheriffs that responded to this active shooting scene yesterday were absolutely true heroes,” Sheriff John McMahon said.

“It was like war zone, and our deputies continued to go into that area and try to neutralize and stop the threat,” he added.

McMahon has denied that deputies intentionally started the fire at the cabin.

Deputies were recorded on police radio calling on a plan to bring burners into the home

“I can tell you that it was not on purpose,” McMahon told reporters. “We did not intentionally burn down that cabin to get Mr. Dorner out.”

“Pyrotechnic-type canisters are commonly referred to as burners,” he clarified.

The department has also faced questions about how Dorner hid in another cabin –possibly for days — during the hunt for him.

The cabin was within eyesight of the deputies’ central staging area and in a place where officers searched, knocking door to door.

“I can tell you that the cabin in question had not been rented out since February 6,” said Deputy Chief Steve Kovensky. “As I said, there was an extensive search in that area of the cabins.”

Meantime, it remains unclear who — if anyone — stands to collect the $1.2 million reward that had been offered for information leading to Dorner’s capture and conviction.

The money is now in question because Dorner is dead and so he will not be tried.

The reward money is being discussed by L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and LAPD Chief Charlie Beck.

Both men issued statements on Thursday saying more than 20 jurisdictions and entities are involved in the reward.

They say all of them will be coming together to collectively determine whether any individual or individuals qualify.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

4 comments


Related Stories