Man, Woman Seriously Hurt in Gas Explosion at Sport Chalet – Dave Mecham Reports

LA CANADA (KTLA) — At least two people were injured in a natural gas explosion at a Sport Chalet in La Canada on Friday.

The explosion happened just before 10 a.m. at the store at 2 Sport Chalet Drive, in the La Canada Flintridge Town Center.

The location is near the intersection of Angeles Crest Highway and Foothill Boulevard.

The two injured people, both employees of the store, were reportedly sent into a utility room to turn off the gas after a contractor said he could smell it coming from the room.

The utility room contained chlorine and acid used to maintain the store’s swimming pool which is used for diving lessons.

“The employees went into the utility room and they shut the gas down, but as they were leaving the gas flashed on them,” according to Greg Hisel of L.A. County Fire.

The employees, identified as a 27-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man, sustained second to third degree burns over 50 to 80-percent of their bodies.

Both victims were transported in serious condition to Huntington Memorial in Pasadena.

A hazardous-materials team was sent to the scene.

Investigators have not determined whether the explosion was accidental.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Related Stories