ROME (CNN) — Catholic cardinals are meeting for a second day Tuesday at the Vatican, as they prepare to set a timetable for selecting a new pope.
More cardinals are arriving Tuesday morning, so there should be fewer than eight cardinal-electors still to come, said the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman.
The cardinal-electors, those younger than 80 who are eligible to vote for the new pontiff, are thought to number 115 in total.
Those cardinals already in Rome met twice Monday, in the morning and in the evening, as they began a series of meetings known as General Congregations.
After the morning session — attended by 142 cardinals, 103 of whom were cardinal electors — a decision had not been made on when the conclave to select Pope Benedict XVI’s successor would start, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi told reporters.
“It’s on the table, but no decision has been reached,” Lombardi said.
The group decided that congregations on Tuesday and Wednesday would take place in the morning only, he added.
The General Congregations are a key step before the conclave, in which all cardinals younger than 80 meet in the Vatican to vote for the next pope.
The famous Sistine Chapel, where the secretive conclave takes place, was closed to the public at lunchtime Tuesday and will remain so until further notice, the official Vatican Museums website said.
According to Italian media reports, discussions Monday focused on an internal investigation into leaks from the Vatican, the outcome of which has so far been seen only by Benedict, and the church’s handling of the scandal over child sex abuse by priests.
The cardinals also talked about the kind of pope they want to see at the head of the world’s 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.
Transfer of power
Representatives of a support group for abuse victims, Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, called Monday for the cardinals to elect a new pope who is not a Vatican insider.
The group also called for some of the older cardinals to absent themselves from the General Congregations, arguing that some have been accused of complicity in protecting priests accused of sexually abusing children.
“Their peers should push them to stay home, or they should do so voluntarily, the group feels, for the sake of the church and to avoid heaping more pain on wounded victims and betrayed Catholics,” a statement on SNAP’s website said.
One of Italy’s anti-clerical abuse networks, L’Abuso, petitioned senior Vatican Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone on Monday not to allow the participation of an Italian cardinal it alleges helped protect priests who molested minors in the past.
Benedict announced his intention to step down on February 11 and resigned Thursday, becoming the first pope to do so in almost 600 years. The transfer of papal power has almost always happened after the sitting pope has died.
Normally, the College of Cardinals is not allowed to select a new pontiff until 15 to 20 days after the office becomes vacant. However, Benedict amended the 500-year-old policy to get a successor into place more rapidly.
The cardinals may to be able to do so before March 15, Lombardi has said.
This would give the new pontiff more than a week to prepare for the March 24 Palm Sunday celebrations.
Some gambling houses are offering odds on who will next lead the Catholic Church.
Favorites include the archbishop of Milan, Italy, Cardinal Angelo Scola; Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone of Italy; Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana, who would become the first African pontiff since Pope Gelasius I died more than 1,500 years ago; and Cardinal Marc Ouellet of Canada, who would become the first North American pope.
Wounded ‘hearts and minds’
One former cardinal who won’t participate in the conclave is Keith O’Brien of Scotland, who resigned last month. O’Brien apologized Sunday for sexual impropriety, without specifying any incident.
“To those I have offended, I apologize and ask forgiveness,” he said in a statement.
The Vatican refused to answer questions Monday about whether it would discipline O’Brien.
But others did comment.
“It looks as if the incidence of abuse is practically zero right now as far as we can tell, but they are still the victims, and the wound therefore is deep in their hearts and minds very often,” Cardinal Francis George, archbishop of Chicago, told reporters in Rome. “As long as it’s with them, it’s with all of us. And that will last for a long time, so the next pope has to be aware of this.”
Philip Tartaglia, the archbishop of Glasgow and apostolic administrator of the Archdiocese of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, will administer O’Brien’s archdiocese until a new appointment is made.
“The most stinging charge which has been leveled against us in this matter is hypocrisy, and for obvious reasons,” Tartaglia said Monday night in a sermon at St. Andrew’s Cathedral in Glasgow. “I think there is little doubt that the credibility and moral authority of the Catholic Church in Scotland has been dealt a serious blow, and we will need to come to terms with that.”
While Benedict has no direct involvement in the selection of his successor, his influence will be felt: He appointed 67 of at least 115 cardinals set to make the decision.
Cardinals must vote in person, via paper ballot. Once the process begins, the cardinals aren’t allowed to talk with anyone outside of the conclave. They cannot leave until white smoke emerges from the Vatican chimney — the signal that a new leader has been picked.
Lombardi said Monday that 4,300 journalists have been accredited to cover the papal conclave.