Northridge Kidnapping Suspect Pleads Not Guilty to 37 Counts
Tobias Dustin Summers, 32, faces kidnapping and first-degree burglary charges as well as nearly three dozen counts of sexual assault.
Summers was captured on April 24 at a drug and alcohol rehab facility in Las Misiones, a small community about 200 miles south of the U.S. border in Mexico.
A felony complaint alleges that Summers broke into the girl’s home and used a knife to abduct her, then committed numerous sexual acts on the child and took nude photos of her.
The girl was discovered missing about 3:40 a.m. on March 27 by her mother, who heard a noise and went to check on her daughter.
Dozens of law enforcement officials quickly joined the search, which ended about 12 hours later when the girl was found wandering in a parking lot several miles away.
She was barefoot, dazed and appeared to be wearing different clothes than those she wore when taken from her home.
Days later, Los Angeles police publicly identified Summers as their primary suspect.
A federal complaint alleges that he crossed the border into Tecate, Mexico, “within several hours” of that announcement.
Baja police said Summers was surprised and frightened by the sight of officers and was taken into custody without incident.
Authorities confirmed Summers’ identity through a Superman logo tattoo on his chest.
Summers had checked into the rehab facility under a fake name.
The girl’s family declined requests for interviews through the LAPD, but her mother told KTLA that she was “relieved that he’s been captured and glad that he won’t be doing this to anyone else.”
Summers is being held on $19 million bail.
If convicted, he faces multiple life terms in prison.
His next court appearance is set for May 22.
Also charged in connection with the case is Daniel Martinez, who pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and burglary counts earlier this month.
Martinez, 29, was arrested two miles from the girl’s home and was described by Los Angeles police as a secondary suspect in the crime.
If convicted, he faces up to 12 years in prison.
Police do not believe Martinez initiated the kidnapping or participated in the assault, but was believed to be the driver in what authorities said began as a burglary.
Both men have extensive criminal histories, though neither is a registered sex offender.
It is unclear how long either man has spent behind bars.
–KTLA/Los Angeles Times