West Wing of White House Evacuated After Fire Scare
WASHINGTON, DC (KTLA) – The West Wing of the White House was evacuated early Saturday morning after smoke poured into the building.
“Early this am, an electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm in the West Wing,” the White House said in a statement.
“The transformer problem was quickly resolved. Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal. The First Family was unaffected.”
Reporters and photographers were evacuated from the press room just before 6 a.m. and were allowed to return about an hour later, according to media reports.