Local News

Family Disputes Sheriff’s Account in Fatal Cudahy Shooting

CUDAHY, Calif. (KTLA) — The family of a man fatally shot by a deputy spoke out Sunday, and disputed the account given by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department of what led to the incident.

A deputy shot and killed 34-year-old Rigoberto Arceo on Saturday night in Cudahy, the sheriff’s department said.

But Arceo’s family gave a very different version of what led to the shooting.

One thing that can not be disputed, Arceo was killed.

Initially, East L.A. deputies responded to a report of a fight at a party and a man with a gun.

Deputies were also told that a vehicle had been seen leaving the location and the man may have been inside.

The man and the car were found a short time later, and there was reportedly some type of struggle.

“He was trying to grab the deputy’s gun,”  Richard Pena of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department told KTLA 5 News.

The man, later identified as Arceo, a father of two young boys, was shot once in the upper torso.

A handgun was recovered from inside the vehicle, and a female driver taken in for questioning, according to the sheriff’s department.

The driver turned out to be Arceo’s sister Maria, who told KTLA 5 News her brother did not try to grab the deputy’s weapon.

“He got out of the car with his hands in the air,” Maria Arceo said.

She also confirmed that a gun was indeed found inside of her car. But she said it was not loaded, and her brother had not touched the weapon.

Authorities continued to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident Monday.

Advertisement

Advertisement