MIAMI, FLORIDA – Just in time for beachgoers on Memorial Day, a professor in Florida has released his list of ‘Top Ten Beaches’ in the U.S. — and California has scored a big goose-egg, placing none of our beaches in his top ten.
Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman — known to many as “Dr. Beach” — is a professor at Florida International University in Miami.
Leatherman evaluated 650 beaches, applying 50 different criteria to create his top ten list.
Among the criteria: softness of sand, rip currents, pollution, lifeguards, and safety record.
Leatherman’s Top Ten for 2013:
1. Main Beach, East Hampton, New York
2. Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida
4. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
5. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
6. Barefoot Beach Preserve County Park, Bonita Springs, Florida
7. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, North Carolina
9. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina