SANTA MONICA, Calif. — The gunman who killed five people during a shooting rampage through Santa Monica left a farewell note expressing remorse for killing his father and brother, police said Thursday evening.
John Zawahri, 23, also wrote that he hoped his mother would be cared for financially and said goodbye to several friends, the Santa Monica Police Department said.
Police also revealed Thursday Zawahri had been denied a firearm in 2011.
The revelation raises more questions about how Zawahri got the semi-authomatic weapon he used in the attack.
Law enforcement sources told The Times Wednesday that the weapon was put together from various parts, possibly in an attempt to circumvent the state’s restrictions on such guns.
While certain types of AR-15-style rifles are banned in California, it’s legal to purchase parts that can be used to assemble and customize the guns.
Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.