Alleged Gunman in Willowbrook Standoff Identified

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WILLOWBROOK, Calif. (KTLA) — Authorities on Thursday identified an alleged gunman who was found dead after a standoff at a home in Willowbrook.

Howard Michael Carl Partee, 34, of Willowbrook, allegedly wounded two officers in a shootout on Tuesday evening, setting off a barricade situation that went on for about 13 hours.

officer-shot-77thThe shooting happened 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday in the 2200 block of East 117th Street.

LAPD officers and Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies were conducting a probation check at a back house on a property.

Police were leaving when they apparently smelled marijuana coming from the front house and decided to investigate.

As the officers were ordering people to exit the home, gunfire erupted.

“The suspect basically ambushed our officers as they were conducting a search of that residence with probation,” LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman said.

The alleged gunman was in the attic above the kitchen, police said.

gang-officer-shotWhen an LAPD gang officer peered into the attic, he was shot.

He was wounded in the cheek and neck, and was rushed to St. Francis Hospital.

The officer underwent surgery on Tuesday night and was listed in critical but stable condition.

At least five officers exchanged gunfire with the alleged attacker, as bullets ripped through the ceiling and floor, police said.

A county probation officer also suffered a leg wound and was treated at the scene.

Heavily armed officers in riot gear surrounded the home, and the neighborhood was evacuated late Tuesday as a precaution.

As the hours stretched on, police tried unsuccessfully to communicate with the man via telephone, LAPD Sgt. Albert Gonzalez said.

A robot was used to get visuals inside the presence. Police also used tear gas and a bear cat to try to get the man to surrender.

“Officers have secured the location and located the suspect,” Neiman said late Wednesday morning.

“Unfortunately, in this situation, the suspect was found deceased up in the attic, which is where we thought we might find him.”

It wasn’t clear how long the suspected gunman had been dead, Neiman said. The coroner’s office would make that determination, he said.

Meantime, police planned to scale back their perimeter and allow the evacuated residents to return home as soon as possible.

Authorities did not believe the incident was related to the shooting of two LAPD detectives earlier on Tuesday outside the Wilshire station in Mid-City.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s