LOS ANGELES (KTLA) — Police on Thursday announced a $100,000 reward for information leading to prosecution of the so-called “teardrop” rapist, suspected in a series of assaults between 1996 and 2012.
At a news conference at LAPD headquarters, authorities displayed 11 composite sketches of the man.
He was believed to be responsible for attacking 35 women between the ages of 15 and 35.
“This suspect is very unique in that he attacks women sometime between 5 and 8 in the morning, all females walking to work or school,” LAPD Captain William Hayes said.
“He takes them into an alley, accosts them and leaves very quickly,” Hayes said.
The rapist was wanted in connection with incidents that have occurred from Hollywood to South L.A., mostly along the Normandie Avenue corridor.
The most recent attack was believed to have occurred last June, according to police.
That’s when a man pulled a 29-year-old woman into an alley on Naomi Avenue near 25th Street and tried to sexually assault her, police said.
The woman escaped when a vehicle entered the alley and the man ran away.
The man was described as a Latino with brown eyes and brown hair, between 5 feet 2 inches and 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 130 to 170 pounds.
He may have one or two teardrop tattoos under his left or right eye, police said, adding that the tattoos may have been removed.
The reward was being offered by the City of Los Angeles and the FBI. A $50,000 reward had previously been offered in the case.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the LAPD at 877-527-3247, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tipsters can also text the word TIPLA, plus a message, to CRIMES (274637).
The LAPD has also set up a Facebook page with additional information on the case.