TUSTIN, Calif. (KTLA) – Two men were hospitalized with severe burns on Friday, after they were burned in an explosion inside what appeared to be a drug lab, authorities said.
The men were trying to make marijuana oil and using butane as a mixing solvent, according to Tustin Police.
Marijuana oil, sometimes called “hash oil,” is sold by pot dispensaries as an expensive additive for cooking and baking.
It can also be rubbed on the skin, or smoked for a stronger high effect.
The explosion was reported in the garage at a condominium complex at 1722 Mitchell Avenue shortly before noon.
The Orange County Fire Authority said the garage was a possible drug lab.
The men were listed in critical condition UCI Medical Center in critical condition.
Police described the men as “suspects,” although they were not charged with a crime.