Wayward Bottle Rocket Ignites House in Buena Park
BUENA PARK, Calif. (KTLA) — Orange County firefighters knocked down a fire at a two-story house Thursday after a bottle rocket apparently landed on the roof during Fourth of July celebrations.
The fire was reported about 10:45 p.m. and was extinguished in approximately 45 minutes, authorities said. Residents of the home on Joshua Circle escaped unharmed, and no neighboring homes were damaged.
Orange County Fire Authority investigators found remnants of bottle rockets at the scene. It was believed that one the wayward fireworks ignited the blaze when it landed on the house’s wood-shingle roof. The fire later spread to the attic.
The home was heavily damaged, and crews spent several hours stripping the remaining shingles off the roof as a precautionary measure.
Unlike in some neighboring cities, including Los Angeles, the sale of fireworks is legal in Buena Park. However, “only ‘Safe and Sane’ fireworks may be discharged within the City,” according to Buena Park’s official website.