Local News

Laundry Room Explosion Leaves Elderly Woman Badly Burned

LEIMERT PARK, Calif.  (KTLA) — An explosion in the laundry room of a Leimert Park home left an elderly woman badly burned Friday.

Neighbors heard the blast coming from the home on West 43rd Place and Ninth Avenue around 6 a.m.

“We thought it was a car that crashed into a house,” Consuela Cooper, the victim’s neighbor said.

The 79-year-old woman injured in the blast suffered burns to 40 percent of her body and was transported to a local hospital in critical but stable condition, according to officials.

“The burns were terrible,” Cooper said.

A buildup of natural gas due to a leak in the laundry room was believed to have led to the powerful explosion near the back of the home, officials said.

Neighbors reported smelling a strong gas odor in the neighborhood for a couple of days.

The gas company was inspecting.

Advertisement

Advertisement