SAN DIEGO (KTLA) — Bob Filner announced Friday he will step down as mayor of San Diego effective Aug. 30.
The announcement came just hours after the San Diego City Council approved an agreement involving a sexual harassment case brought Filner’s former director of communications.
The council unanimously approved the deal in a closed session Friday.
At a news conference following the vote, Filner apologized to the residents of San Diego, his former fiancée and the women he was accused of sexually harassing.
“To all the women I offended, I had no intention to be offensive, to violate any physical or emotional space,” Filner said.
But the 70-year-old Democrat stopped short of admitting to any wrongdoing. He stated that no sexual harassment allegations were proven in court or independently verified.
“I have never sexually harassed anyone,” Filner said.
Filner recently underwent behavioral therapy following the allegations of sexual harassment that first surfaced six weeks ago.
So far, 18 women have come forward to say that Filner acted inappropriately, including businesswoman Dianne York, who revealed Wednesday that Filner put his hands on her buttocks during a photo opportunity after a meeting three months ago.
Once Filner’s resignation becomes effective, current Council President Todd Gloria would become Interim Mayor.
At that time, a special election would be scheduled within 90 days.
L.A. Times contributed to this report.