A $50,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of a driver who struck and killed a 35-year-old man in Studio City last month.
Michael Bonanomi, a musician and advertising industry professional who lived in Santa Monica, was fatally hit as he crossed the street just before midnight on Saturday, Aug. 17.
The driver did not stop, leaving the scene of the collision near Ventura Boulevard near Fairway Avenue. Bonanomi, a Los Angeles native, died at the scene, police said.
Bonanomi’s parents spoke before the Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday, asking for the reward to be approved.
“He loved the Dodgers, he loved the Lakers, the farmers market, sunsets on the beach and a barbecue with friends — just the simple pleasures of life,” his mother Eve told the council. “He brought us more joy than you can ever imagine.”
She recounted her son’s having visited a terminally ill Vietnam veteran neighbor who had no family four or five times per week because Bonanomi “didn’t want (his neighbor) to die alone.”
“So we’re asking for your help in finding the person who left our son to die alone and callously sped away. We’re doing our best to find justice for Michael,” she said. “Without knowing who would have done something so cruel, we will never have closure.”
A Los Angeles Police Department official who spoke before the council said the driver’s white, two-door Mercedes CL class was thought to be between model years 2008 and 2010. It was traveling eastbound at a high rate of speed, the official said.
Police had said the car had black paper license plates with yellow lettering.
“We have examined physical evidence at the scene, we reached out to the community,” the LAPD official said. “Unfortunately, we ran out of leads.”
The reward, which was approved by the council, was requested by Councilman Paul Krekorian, whose office posted a YouTube video of part of the testimony before council Wednesday.
A Facebook page, In Memory of Michael Bonanomi, was created in honor of the victim.