Model Brutally Attacked on Mid-Wilshire Street

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A local woman suffered a concussion, neck injury and abrasions after three men attacked her on a street in the Mid-Wilshire area, the woman said Friday.


Nydia Rivera says she was jumped by three men as she left restaurant near Pico Boulevard and La Brea Avenue on Sept. 5.

Nydia Rivera said she was jumped by three men as she left restaurant near Pico Boulevard and La Brea Avenue on Sept. 5.

“Upon leaving the restaurant I got followed out by three guys,” Rivera said. “I turned around to kind of see what was happening and he reached out and grabbed my cell phone.”

The former pageant queen told KTLA the men then tried to force her into their car.

They drove off, dragging her for two blocks, then pushed her out the door, she said.

“My head broke the fall on the way down and I blacked out,” Rivera said.

She said when she woke up she was lying alone in the street.

“I woke up from the fall and I thought at first I was paralyzed,” she said. “I had no feeling in my legs in my arms or my whole body and I finally gained feeling.”

She finally managed to get up and said she “tried screaming for help and there was a ton of people around and nobody helped.”

Rivera said she suffered a concussion, a neck injury and abrasions.

“It’s the grace of God that I’m even alive to this day,” Rivera said. “I don’t even know how I survived it.”

She said the experience taught her an important lesson.

“What I would have done different is that I did not have my keys in my hands. I was digging through my purse to find my keys,” Rivera said. “I’m a huge advocate now for clamping your keys to your purse so you have them accessible at all times.”

Rivera was also inspired to throw a charity benefit this Sunday at 5 p.m. at Busby’s in Santa Monica to help raise money and awareness about violence. More information about the event is at

Anyone with information about the attack was asked to contact police.