IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR DISH SUBSCRIBERS – SERVICE INTERRUPTION – CLICK HERE

Spontaneous Combustion Prompts Hazmat Response in San Fernando

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A hazardous materials crew was sent to a commercial building in San Fernando after a 55-gallon drum of a very strong hydrogen peroxide solution spilled, reacted with the carpet and spontaneously combusted Wednesday.

San Fernando Hazmat

A hazmat crew was called to a building in San Fernando on Wednesday.

The incident was reported just after 9 a.m. at a commercial building located at 1133 W. Celis St. (map).

Three blocks surrounding the building were evacuated as a precaution, according to Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The fire was quickly extinguished by more than 75 firefighters and the building was evacuated while a hazmat crew investigated, Scott said.

A 64-year-old man was treated for burns. Two others suffered minor injuries, but all three declined to go to the hospital, Scott said.

Firefighters wore self-contained breathing apparatus during the battle.

The one-story building is located in a row of commercial buildings near San Fernando Middle School.

The cause of the fire was considered accidental and damage was estimated at $40,000, Scott said in a detailed update sent out Wednesday evening.