Major Delays, I-5 Through Norwalk This Weekend
LA MIRADA AND SANTA FE SPRINGS – Caltrans is advising northbound Santa Ana Freeway (Interstate 5) motorists from Orange County heading into Los Angeles County that they could expect delays of 60 to 90-minutes this weekend if they don’t use alternate routes or avoid the area during an extended closure from Valley View Avenue to Carmenita Road that begins Saturday, November 16 at 12:01 a.m. and continues through Monday, Nov. 18 at 5 a.m. Traffic will be the heaviest throughout the day and night on Saturday.
The public is encouraged to sign-up to receive email notifications on freeway lane and ramp closures and local city street closures by calling the I-5 South Corridor Improvement Projects Toll-Free Information line at (855) 454-6335 or by visiting www.I-5info.com
Freeway Traffic Information: For timely, accurate and accessible real-time freeway traffic information and travel times, visit Caltrans Quick Map http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/ Caltrans Quick Map
. Electronic Message Signs (EMS) and Portable EMS are in place to redirect northbound I-5 traffic to use State Routes 22, 57, 91 and I-605.
The following closures will be in place this weekend:
Sat., Nov. 16 at 12:01 a.m. to Mon., Nov. 18 at 5 a.m. CLOSED continuously throughout the weekend:
- one of three lanes on northbound I-5 from Valley View Ave. to Carmenita Rd.;
- the freeway connector transition from westbound State Route 91 to northbound I-5;
- the northbound I-5 on-ramp at Valley View Ave. (closure begins Fri, Nov. 15 at 8 p.m.)
Two directional FULL FREEWAY CLOSURES on northbound I-5 ONLY from Valley View Avenue to Carmenita Road, will take place overnight Saturday and Sunday.
Each full freeway closure will last from four to seven hours.
- Overnight, Saturday, Nov. 16: 12:01 a.m. to 7 a.m.
- Overnight, Monday, Nov. 18: 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
OPEN: All (3 of 3) southbound I-5 lanes will remain open for motorists throughout the weekend from Carmenita Road to Valley View Avenue.
When the freeway facilities re-open on Monday morning, November 18, the public will notice these new features on the freeway and on local streets:
- three northbound lanes from approximately Valley View Ave. to Alondra Blvd. will have been re-striped and shifted to the right (east). One of the three lanes will be an entirely new lane as part of the I-5 HOV Widening Project.
- a new temporary northbound I-5 on-ramp at Freeway Drive in Santa Fe Springs will open. This on-ramp will temporarily replace the northbound I-5 on-ramp at Alondra Blvd. that closed in June, 2013 prior to the demolition of the Alondra Blvd. Bridge.
- a new signalized intersection at Alondra Blvd. and Freeway Dr. in Santa Fe Springs, will be fully operational for local motorists.
- Alondra Blvd. remains closed from Freeway Dr. to Marquardt Ave. during reconstruction of the new Alondra Blvd. Bridge, that is scheduled to reopen in fall 2014.