LAX Shooting Suspect Paul Ciancia Released From Hospital, in Custody
Paul Ciancia, the suspected gunman in the Nov. 1 shooting spree at LAX, has been released from the hospital and was in federal custody, authorities said Tuesday.
The last remaining patient from the shooting at Los Angeles International Airport was released from Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Westwood on Monday, Roxanne Moster said in a statement.
Ciancia, who has been in critical condition after the shooting, was the last patient from the incident taken to UCLA Medical Center.
Ciancia had been taken into custody by the U.S. Marshals Service, according to Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California.
No court appearance for Ciancia had been scheduled and no details about his “custody status” or the location where he was held were being released, Mrozek said.
Ciancia had allegedly pulled an assault rifle from a bag near the entrance to Terminal 3, fatally shooting Transportation Security Administration agent Gerardo I. Hernandez at point-blank range, and then returning to fire on Hernandez again. Ciancia allegedly then fired on at least two other TSA employees and a civilian passenger as he proceeded through the TSA checkpoint and into the gate area.
He was shot by airport police responding to the incident, which left LAX in chaos and disrupted air travel around the world.
The 23-year-old was charged with the murder of a federal officer and the intentional use of a firearm during the commission of violence an international airport.
A New Jersey native who had been living in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Sun Valley, Ciancia was believed to have acted alone, specifically targeting TSA employees.
Check back for updates on this developing story.