Coroner: Slain TSA Officer Died Within 2 to 5 Minutes of Being Shot

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An autopsy conducted on the body of Gerardo Hernandez determined the TSA officer died within two to five minutes of being shot, according to the L.A. County Coroner’s office.

TSA Honors Slain LAX Security Officer with Moment of Silence

TSA officer Gerardo Hernandez was shot and killed during a shooting rampage at LAX on Nov. 1. (Credit: KTLA)

The autopsy, conducted on Nov. 2, established the cause of death to be multiple gunshot wounds.

Hernandez, the first TSA officer killed in the line of duty, was gunned down Nov. 1 in a shooting spree at LAX.

His death was officially ruled a homicide.

The coroner’s final report was expected to be released by the end of the week.

An Associated Press report published Nov. 15 raised questions about how long it had taken for Hernandez to receive medical attention after the shooting.

Citing an unnamed source, the AP reported that instead of immediately bringing Hernandez to paramedics stationed outside the terminal, an unidentified LAPD officer  declared to others that he was already dead.

The report said 33 minutes passed before airport police officers brought Hernandez to paramedics.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck responded to the coroner’s statement Wednesday calling previous reporting of his officer’s actions, “highly irresponsible.”

“All the facts indicate that any action taken by responding officers or medical personnel would not have saved Officer Hernandez’ life,” said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck.  “What concerns me most about this is that it brought needless trauma to the grieving family members of Officer Hernandez.  It is unconscionable to inflict unnecessary additional suffering to a family that lost a husband, a father, and a loved one in this tragic incident,”

A spokesperson for the Los Angeles World Airports also issued a response.

“Numerous investigations and inquiries into the incident and response are underway, the statement read. “An After Action Workgroup is rigorously analyzing all aspects of the multidiscipline response. The findings of that Workgroup will provide the best perspective from which to draw conclusions, make recommendations, or take other corrective action,” the statement read.

The alleged gunman, Paul Ciancia, is currently being held in federal custody after being released from the hospital.

The 23-year-old was charged with the murder of a federal officer and the intentional use of a firearm during the commission of violence an international airport.