Forget about waking up at the crack of dawn to find a good deal on Black Friday.
Some bargain hunters hit the stores at 6 a.m. Thanksgiving Day hoping to beat the crowds and to save a lot of dough.
Dozens of people could be seen roaming around a Kmart in Burbank, right after the store opened its doors at 6 a.m. on Thursday.
Fueled by fierce competition, a growing number of retailers planned to kick off the holiday shopping season on what they’re calling Gray Thursday, instead of waiting until Black Friday.
One store that refused to join the trend was Nordstrom. The retailer has a longstanding tradition of remaining closed on Thanksgiving, and posted signs in it stores stating “we won’t be decking our hall until Friday, November 29.”
Below is a list of large retailers that are open on Thanksgiving:
- J.C. Penney and Macy’s will both open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day for a 25-hour overnight shopping marathon.
- Sears stores will open starting at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day through 10 p.m. on Black Friday.
- Kmart will open at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day to 11 p.m. on Black Friday.
- Toys R Us will open from 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Best Buy stores will at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving and remain open until 10 p.m. on Friday.
- Wal-Mart will start to offer its holiday deals at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving, two hours earlier than last year.