Ex-Long Beach Police Detective Accused of Aiding Street Gang

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A former police detective who spent 13 years on the Long Beach force was accused Friday of providing information to a criminal street gang about a murder investigation.


Former Long Beach Police Department Detective Yvonne Robinson. (Credit: LBPost.com)

Ex-Detective Yvonne Robinson, 42, was arrested Thursday in Carson after being fired in March following an investigation into her alleged actions, Long Beach Police Department Chief Jim McDonnell said at a news conference Friday afternoon.

Robinson, along with a family member named as 24-year-old Prentice Jones, was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to obstruct justice and knowingly aid a criminal street gang, according to a news release from the Police Department.

The investigation began after the June 2012 arrest of 16 members of the Baby Insane Crip gang on a variety of charges; two of the gang members were arrested for involvement in the 2009 killing of 19-year-old Frank Castro, authorities said Friday.

“During the course of the investigation, detectives learned that someone in the gang was being provided details of the murder investigation to aid the suspects involved in that case,” McDonnell said.

A criminal investigation was launched and, in May 2012, Robinson was identified as a suspect and was put under surveillance, police said.

“Over the course of several months, detectives were able to gather sufficient evidence to determine that Robinson was utilizing her position as a detective to review police reports and provide information to Jones, a known gang member and brother to Robinson’s brother-in-law,” the Police Department stated in its news release. “After Jones received the information, he passed it on to the leaders of the gang.”

That July, Robinson was put on administrative leave and relieved of her police duties. She was fired in March 2013.

Robinson had been with the Youth Services Section of the Investigations Bureau.

According to online inmate records, Robinson was released just after 7 a.m. Friday after posting $60,000 bail. Jones posted his $60,000 bail about 3:15 a.m. Friday.

No other officers were involved, McDonnell said.

“It is extremely disappointing when the behavior of one individual undermines the public trust that this Department works so hard to uphold,” McDonnell said, according to the department’s statement. “We will not tolerate actions that dishonor the badge that we wear so proudly.”

KTLA’s Anthony Kurzweil, Chip Yost and Melissa Pamer contributed to this report.