BREAKING: Judge Sides With Shelly Sterling in Trial Over Proposed Sale of Clippers

Pursuit in Compton Ends With 4 Killed in Fiery Crash, Including Innocent Victim

A pursuit Saturday morning in Compton ended with four people killed, including a woman who was struck by the vehicle that deputies had been pursuing, authorities said.

cpt-fire

A car burned after a police pursuit ended in Compton on Saturday, Dec. 13, 2013.

The pursuit began around 12:25 a.m. after witnesses dialed 911 to report someone was firing gunshots from a red sedan in the 100 block of East Indigo Street (map), according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

“When the deputies arrived, they contacted witnesses and found bullets in the street,” said sheriff’s Sgt. Peter Ramirez.

Deputies located a car matching the vehicle’s description and pulled it over, the Sheriff’s Department said in a statement.

But the driver took off and ran a red light on Wilmington Avenue, according to the Sheriff’s Department.

Deputies pursued the car for a short time before it struck a woman who was driving westbound on Wilmington Avenue.

Her car then slammed into a brick wall and a pole, according to witnesses.

Compton-Pursuit2

Firefighters were unable to save the four people who died, Compton, Dec. 14, 2013. (KTLA)

First responders from the Compton Fire Department cut the roof off the woman’s car but were unable to save her; she was pronounced dead at the scene.

The woman was later identified as 30-year-old Stacy Garcia of Los Angeles, according to Investigator Kristy McCracken of the L.A. County coroner’s office.

Meantime, the car that deputies had been pursuing flipped over and burst into flames, the Sheriff’s Department said.

The driver and two passengers were trapped inside as firefighters tried to extinguish the flames, according to witnesses.

All three people in the vehicle died, authorities said. Their bodies were burned beyond recognition, Lt. Larry Bietz with the L.A. County coroner’s office told KTLA 5.

One of the three occupants of the vehicle was identified by family members as 20-year-old Shawnice Osborne.

compton-victim

Shawnice Osborne, 20, was one of four people who died in a two-vehicle collision in Compton on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013. (Family photo)

“We definitely feel devastated by this, especially being so close to Christmas,” said Osborne’s stepfather George Starks. “It’s definitely tragic when a parent loses a child. So at this point we’re just, right now, trying to stay focused and lift each other up and encourage each other as much as possible through this.”

The case remains under investigation.  The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department urged anyone with information to contact the Compton Sheriff’s station at 310-605-6500.