Suspect Arrested in Brutal Beating Near Venice Beach Boardwalk

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A suspect has been arrested in connection with the videotaped beating of a homeless man in Venice on Dec. 13, police said.

Apolinar Celestino Lopez, 30, was pulled over Jan. 5 by Pacific Division officers, the Los Angeles Police Department said in a news statement. The officers learned that Lopez, who was “operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or narcotics,” was wanted for allegedly using a folding chair to brutally beat a man in the 1300 block of Ocean Front Walk (map).

Homeless Man Brutally Beaten on Venice Beach Boardwalk

A homeless man was brutally beaten in Venice on Dec. 13, 2013. The attack was captured on video by a local resident.

A felony warrant had been issued for Lopez, who was accused of assault with a deadly weapon, the statement said.

He was arrested and booked at the LAPD’s Pacific Community Police Station.

Video footage of the Dec. 13 incident shows a man using the chair to strike the victim several times in the face and upper body. The video was recorded by a local resident after a neighbor called 911.

The suspect left the scene before officers arrived, police said. The unidentified victim was transported to a hospital, where he was treated and released.

The video was released by the LAPD and uploaded to YouTube, where it has been viewed more than 34,000 times.

The warrant was issued for Lopez after Gang Enforcement Detail officers identified him as a suspect.

Anyone with information was asked to contact Pacific Division detectives at 310-482-6313. Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.