L.A. Man Accused of Scamming Elderly Driver Pleads Not Guilty
A man accused of staging a traffic collision to scam an 85-year-old motorist in the San Fernando Valley out of thousands of dollars has pleaded not guilty, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced in a news release Friday.
David Stevens, 42, has been charged with first-degree burglary, person present and theft from an elder, Deputy District Attorney John Pomerov said in the release.
Stevens, who was arrested at his Los Angeles home on Tuesday, allegedly told the victim there had been a traffic collision and that the elderly man needed to pay him thousands of dollars, prosecutors said. He was alleged to have contacted the victim multiple times over a three month-period between last October and earlier this month in order to get the money, according to the release.
Stevens was due back in court for a preliminary hearing on Feb. 11.
The alleged scam was still under investigation by police. Investigators believed there may be more elderly victims, according to a news release from the Los Angeles Police Department.
Police were asking anyone with information or who may have been a victim to call LAPD Detective Marjan Mobasser at 818-374-0053. Anonymous tip can also be left with Crime Stoppers by calling 800-222-8477.