Suspected Home Drug Lab Explodes in Commerce; 2 Injured
Two young men were left in critical condition when a suspected home drub lab exploded in Commerce, authorities said early Thursday.
Sheriff’s deputies and firefighters were called to the 2300 block of Ayers Avenue (map) regarding a tree or transformer fire on Wednesday, according to a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department news release.
Responders arrived to find a home at the rear of the property on fire, the release stated.
Two men, ages 18 and 21, found inside the home were taken to the hospital for burn-related injuries, according to the sheriff’s department.
Both men were in critical condition, the Los Angeles County Fire Department tweeted.
An initial investigation revealed a suspected “butane honey oil extraction laboratory,” where marijuana is turned into hash oil or “honey oil,” according to the sheriff’s department’s news release.
Several butane bottles were reportedly found and one of them may have exploded, causing the fire, the sheriff’s department stated.
The blast was powerful enough to knock the home off of its foundation, according to the fire department’s tweet.
Initial reports estimated that the home sustained about $300,000 in damage.
Narcotics-related charges were pending for the two men.