Woman Injured, 2 Pets Dead in Woodland Hills House Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A woman suffered moderate injuries Saturday in a Woodland Hills house fire that left two of her pets dead, authorities said.

Thirty-seven firefighters responded about 6:09 p.m. to the 5200 block of North Topanga Canyon Boulevard (map), where they discovered one unit of a single-story duplex “well involved with fire,” according to a statement from the Los Angeles Fire Department.

woodland-hills-fire-mapAs LAFD personnel were extending hoses to battle the flames, a female resident escaped the fire and said her bird and dog were still inside the residence.

The firefighters searched the home while working to knock down the blaze, which was extinguished in 13 minutes, the Fire Department said. The adjoining unit was not damaged.

The woman, who is the building’s sole occupant, suffered mild smoke exposure and a moderate burn injury on one arm, according to LAFD spokesman Brian Humphrey. She was transported to a hospital in fair condition. No other injuries were reported.

“The animals were discovered deep within the 1,515-square-foot home and proved beyond medical assistance,” the statement said.

The 60-year-old structure was equipped with smoke alarms.

The fire, which was considered accidental, began when a lighted candle “contacted flammable furnishings,” the statement said.