A proposal to host a joint Jay Z and Beyonce concert at the Rose Bowl Stadium got the go-ahead signal from the Pasadena City Council on Tuesday.
At a special afternoon meeting, the council voted unanimously to approve findings allowing the power couple’s proposed concert to be held at the historic Rose Bowl.
The concert date discussed for the Pasadena venue was Aug. 2, 2014, according to William Boyer, a spokesman for the city.
Jay Z and Beyonce have been planning their first tour together for summer, a source told the Los Angeles Times. It’s set to be called the Mr. and Mrs. Carter Tour, the newspaper reported.
The Pasadena council had to vote on the matter because the Rose Bowl — nestled within an affluent, residential neighborhood — has a limited number of events permitted, and that number had already been reached.
Twelve events are allowed at the stadium without council approval; a total of 17 had already been approved, according to the Pasadena Star-News.
Only a few handful of residents turned out for the council vote.
The city can gain between $500,000 and $1 million from the lease of the stadium for a single concert, Councilman Steve Madison said.
Jay Z last week was in Los Angeles to join city and county officials in announcing that his Made in America festival would take over Grand Park downtown L.A. on Aug. 30 and 31.
KTLA’s Chris Wolfe contributed to this article.