Pursuit Comes to a Violent End in Long Beach; 1 Dead

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A police pursuit that began after a man allegedly pulled scissors on deputies at a Target store in Compton ended in an officer-involved shooting in Long Beach on Sunday that left him dead, authorities said.


An investigation was underway after a pursuit ended in an officer-involved shooting in Long Beach on April 27, 2014. (Credit: KTLA)

The incident began when deputies saw the man struggling with security officers at the Target located in the 1600 block of South Alameda Street (map) around 2:45 p.m., a news release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department stated.

The security officers were attempting to detain him for a crime that was allegedly committed at the store, according to the release. Deputies tried to intervene, but the man pulled out a pair of scissors and fled to a vehicle.

A pursuit ensued and came to an end in the 1800 block of East Ocean Boulevard (map) near the beach in Long Beach, where the man initially refused to get out of the vehicle, authorities said.

He eventually exited the car about 15 minutes later with a large wooden stick in his hand and refused to comply with authorities, according to the Sheriff’s Department.

Deputies utilized “less than lethal force by deploying a stuntbag” to subdue him, but that “had no effect” on the man, the release said. He then ran from deputies and encountered officers from the Long Beach Police Department, who were assisting the sheriff’s deputies in their efforts to contain the man.

Video shot from an apartment above the scene showed a man exiting a vehicle surrounded by police cars. The man could then be seen running down a long stairway towards the beach as a police canine gave chase. Multiple gunshots could then be heard at the scene, and the man appeared to fall, according to the video.

Authorities confirmed that Long Beach police officers opened fire on a man they identified as a suspect.

The man was transported to an area hospital where he later died of his injuries.

His identity would be released at a later time by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office, according to authorities

The incident was being investigated by multiple agencies.

No further information was available.

KTLA’s Steve Kuzj contributed to this report.