8 Hospitalized, Building Evacuated in Pomona Amid HazMat Response
Some 300 people were affected by the evacuation of a building in Pomona and eight were hospitalized after they reacted to what was believed to be adhesive remover on Tuesday, county fire officials said.
The hazardous materials call came into the Los Angeles County Fire Department just before 1:30 p.m., a fire official said.
A five-story office building in the 200 block of South Locust Street was evacuated, fire Capt. Tom Richards said.
Twenty people had complained of minor eye irritation and coughing, and eight people were being taken to hospitals with complaint of hives and respiratory issues, according to another fire official.
The reactions were in response to fumes from an adhesive remover, Richards said.
The hazardous materials units were called to a Verizon building, a spokesman for the department stated on Twitter.
There was no “immediate” threat, and workers were allowed back in the building, the department said onTwitter just before 4 p.m.
Check back for updates on this developing story.