President Obama arrived at LAX just before 5 p.m. on Wednesday for a two-day visit to Southern California and traffic delays were expected.
The president was greeted by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti as he stepped off Air Force One.
Obama then traveled to the home of Disney chairman Alan Horn in Bel Air for a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser.
Among those in attendance were Barbara Streisand, James Brolin and Jeffrey Katzenberg, according to a pool reporter traveling with the president.
The President’s next stop was the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza for the USC Shoah Foundation’s 20th anniversary gala.
Obama was given the Ambassador for Humanity Award by Steven Spielberg “for his global efforts to protect human rights, his commitment to education and expanding educational technology, and his work advancing opportunities for all people,” according to a news release from the foundation.
The Los Angeles Police Department released a list of areas motorists may want to avoid during the president’s visit, as follows.
Wednesday, May 7
- The area around Motor Avenue and Pico Boulevard from 4 to 6 p.m.
- The area around Pico Boulevard and Beverly Glenn Road from 4 to 6 p.m.
- The area around Santa Monica Boulevard and Beverly Glenn from 4 to 6 p.m.
- The area around Sunset Boulevard and Beverly Glenn from 6 to 8 p.m.
- The area around Santa Monica Boulevard and Avenue of the Stars from 6 to 11 p.m.
Thursday, May 8
- The area around Santa Monica Boulevard and Avenue of the Stars from 9 to 11 a.m.
- The area around Pico Boulevard and Motor Avenue from 9 to 11 a.m.
NOTE: As a result of a hard closure along Santa Monica Boulevard between Wilshire Boulevard and Avenue of the Stars, the following bus routes will be affected, and riders should contact the MTA for alternate locations.
Bus stops affected by the closure between 9:30 and 10:45 a.m.:
BUS STOP: Wilshire / Whittier (West of Arrival and Departure)
- ROUTES: 4, 16, 316, and 704
- Stop ID: 8470
- Stop ID: 16778
BUS STOP Wilshire / Santa Monica (East of Arrival and Departure)
- ROUTES: 20, 720
- Stop ID: 1297
- Stop ID: 14441
- Stop ID: 6063