Record-breaking heat in Southern California Wednesday prompted officials to issue red flag warnings and open multiple cooling stations.
Temperatures were expected to reach up to 104 degrees, and average 10 to 20 degrees hotter than normal, according to the National Weather Service.
Critical fire weather conditions were expected in L.A. and Ventura counties due to a combination of extreme heat, high winds and low humidity, prompting a red flag warning, the NWS stated.
Multiple Glendale community centers were opened Wednesday and L.A. facilities offered extended hours through Thursday to provide shelter to those without a place to keep cool.
“In the days ahead, temperatures could climb over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the City of Los Angeles, Department of Recreation and Parks will be doing its very best to provide safe and cool environments for anyone needing to escape the heat,” General Manager of Recreation Parks Michael A. Shull said in a department news release.
Los Angeles Cooling Centers
Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.:
- North Hollywood Senior Citizen Center: 11430 Chandler Blvd. North Hollywood 818-763-7651
- Sherman Oaks/East Valley Adult Center: 5060 Van Nuys Blvd. Sherman Oaks 818-981-1284
- Sepulveda Recreation Center/Mid-Valley Senior Citizen Center: 8801 Kester Ave. Panorama City 818-756-8060
- Sunland Park Senior Citizen Center: 8640 Fenwick St. Sunland 818-353-9571
- Lake View Terrace RC: 11075 Foothill Blvd. Sylmar 818-899-8087
- Canoga Park Senior Citizen Center: 7326 Jordan Ave. Canoga Park 818-340-2633
Glendale Cooling Centers
- Adult Recreation Center: 201 East Colorado Blvd. 818-548-3775 Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sparr Heights Community Center: 1613 Glencoe Way 818-548-2187 Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Pacific Community Center: 501 South Pacific Ave. 818-548-4098 Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Maple Park Community Center: 820 East Maple Ave. 818-548-3783 Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.