Santa Ana Man, 22, Dies After Being Shot Near His Home
A 22-year-old Santa Ana man was wounded by gunfire early Sunday morning near his home, which he managed to reach on foot before being transported to a hospital and pronounced dead, according to authorities.
Leonicio Banuelos, succumbed to his injuries at UC Irvine Medical Center, according a news release from the Santa Ana Police Department.
Officers responded about 2:35 a.m. to the 300 block of South Newhope Street (map) regarding a shooting victim, the release said. The officers found Banuelos when they arrived; he had been shot in the upper torso.
Orange County Fire Authority paramedics arrived at the scene and took the victim to the hospital.
A preliminary investigation indicated the shooting may have occurred as Banuelos was walking southbound on the eastside of the street in the 200 block of Newhope, the Police Department said.
A silver SUV stopped while traveling northbound, and an occupant of the vehicle opened fire, according to police.
At least one round struck Banuelos in the upper torso. Detectives believe police were called after he walked to his residence.
Anyone with information is asked to call Santa Ana police homicide detectives at 714-245-8390, or Orange County Crime Stoppers at 855-TIP-OCCS.