One pet survived but nine others died in a house fire that broke out in a converted garage in Reseda on Monday afternoon.
Firefighters responded at 4:49 p.m. to a fire at a home in the 6900 block of Calvin Avenue, according to Katherine Main with the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes.
While there were no injuries to residents or firefighters, six cats and three dogs were found dead inside the home, Main said.
The animals died of smoke inhalation and were beyond help, Main said.
The family living at the home was devastated by the loss.
“I never could imagine losing… half my house… and all my pets in one day,” said pet owner Jill Hortz.
One small dog, a 3-year-old Chihuahua named Minnesota, did survive the fire thanks to the quick actions of firefighters at the scene.
“As I was running to the house I saw them giving her CPR and oxygen,” pet owner Julian Hortz said. “They’re angels.”
Minnesota was expected to make a full recovery.
Fire officials said it appeared the fire was accidental, possibly caused by an electrical failure.
“They did have excessive amount of electronic equipment that was plugged in in that garage area,” said LAFD Battalion Chief Jeff Elder.