Torrance Man Get $1.8M in Settlement Over Shooting During Dorner Manhunt

David Perdue holds a shell casing from his encounter with Torrance police. He was driving a pickup truck when he was rammed by police, then shot at. (Credit: Robert Sheahen via Los Angeles Times)

David Perdue holds a shell casing from his encounter with Torrance police. He was driving a pickup truck when he was rammed by police, then shot at. (Credit: Robert Sheahen via Los Angeles Times)

A Torrance surfer will receive a $1.8-million settlement for being accidentally shot at by city police during the 2013 manhunt for former LAPD Officer Christopher Dorner.

David Perdue planned to go surfing on Feb. 7, 2013, during the height of the Dorner manhunt, when his truck was rammed by a Torrance police officer and then struck by several bullets.

Perdue was not hurt, and police at the time said his pickup truck matched the description of one belonging to Dorner, who had already killed three people and injured two others as he cut a bloody swath through Southern California last year.

“The Torrance Police Department is very sympathetic to the disruption this incident caused our community and to all involved,” said Sgt. Chris Roosen, the department’s public information officer.

Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.


Related Stories