The Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday approved a $5 million settlement with the family of a National Guard veteran who officers fatally shot at the end of a wild pursuit last year in downtown Los Angeles.
The settlement comes in the case of Brian Newt Beaird, 51, whose chase last December was broadcast live on television and received national attention.
FULL COVERAGE: Corvette Pursuits Ends in Fatal Police Shooting Live on TV
Several days after the shooting, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said he was “very concerned” about the incident and said he was launching investigations to determine whether it required discipline against the officers or better training techniques.
Officials have not said whether those investigations have been completed.
Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.