Encino Man Charged With Attempted Murder in Griffith Park Attack; Victim Comatose

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A man was airlifted from Griffith Park on Nov. 3, 2014, after being assaulted. (Credit: KTLA)

A 54-year-old Encino man was charged Wednesday with attempted murder in connection with a Griffith Park beating that left another man paralyzed and in critical condition earlier in the week.

Tyrone Isumu was scheduled to be arraigned at the downtown Foltz Criminal Justice Center Wednesday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said.

Isumu allegedly used a rock to repeatedly strike the victim, then hit him with a large steel trash can.

The victim was airlifted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in critical condition Monday afternoon after two hikers found him, face covered in blood, near a hiking trail in the park.

The man, described by a  Los Angeles Fire Department official on scene as being in his 30s, was comatose and suffered paralysis, the DA’s office said. The victim had initially been referred to as a “hiker” by LAFD.

Isumu was arrested Monday evening, several hours after the attack.

If convicted, Isumu faces a possible maximum sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole. Prosecutors planned to ask that bail be set at $530,000.

A Los Angeles Police Department official told KTLA Tuesday that the victim had met his attacker at a liquor store where they bought beer. They later went up a trail in Griffith Park and got into an altercation that escalated, police said.

KTLA’s Wendy Burch and Tracy Bloom contributed to this article