‘Suge’ Knight Charged With Murder; Conviction Would Be Third Strike Against Him

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Hip-hop mogul Marion “Suge” Knight was charged with murder and attempted murder in a Compton hit-and-run Monday, the same day authorities said his bail had been revoked.

Knight, 49, was arrested early Friday after going to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s West Hollywood Station with his lawyer about nine hours after he allegedly ran over two men following an altercation.

Terry Carter, 55, was killed. Knight’s attorney described Carter as an old friend of the Death Row Records founder. Actor Cle “Bone” Sloan was also struck.

Knight was charged Monday with one count of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of hit-and-run with an allegation that he committed a serious and violent felony while out on bail in another pending case.

Knight was out on bail on a separated robbery case, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. Knight pleaded not guilty in November to robbery for a camera theft in a September confrontation with a photographer outside a Beverly Hills studio.

Knight was initially held on $2.025 million bail in the hit-and-run case. On Monday morning, homicide detectives petitioned that bail be revoked, and that request was approved by the bail commissioner, Sheriff’s Department Deputy Juanita Navarro said.

Bail was revoked because Knight was considered a flight risk and a three-strikes candidate, Navarro said. Authorities were also concerned about witness intimidation and Knight’s “criminal past,” the deputy said.

Knight was being held at the Men's Central Jail in downtown Los Angeles, county inmate records indicated. His arraignment was expected in Compton on Tuesday.

Knight's attorney said he was trying to escape an attack when he accidentally struck the victims. A homicide lieutenant said Knight fought with Sloan through his truck's driver's side, then apparently purposefully struck Sloan and Carter with his Ford F-150 Raptor pickup in a parking lot outside Tam's Burgers.

Knight faces life in prison if convicted as charged.

The case would be Knight's third strike, the DA's office confirmed.

He was convicted in 1997 of two counts of assault with a firearm, the criminal complaint against Knight states.

KTLA's Jennifer Thang contributed to this article.