Man Claims iPhone Exploded, Gave Him 2nd and 3rd-Degree Burns

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Erik Johnson claims his iPhone exploded, giving his thigh second and third-degree burns on Feb. 14, 2015. (Credit: WABC)

A New York man recently claimed his iPhone exploded while in his pocket, giving him second and third-degree burns on his upper thigh, CNN reports.

The man said he was burned on Valentine’s Day and spent 10 days in a hospital recovering from his injuries, CNN reported Saturday.

“I bent over to get keys and all I heard was pop and after a little smoke coming out, and just like an instant burn,” Erik Johnson said. “My leg just starts going on fire.”

Johnson claimed he tried to pull the phone out of his pocket, but was unable to.

“I was literally jumping up and down trying to get the phone out of my pocket, but I had dress pants on. I think the phone melted my pockets shut so I couldn’t get into it and I had to rip my pants off,” Johnson said.

Apple is reportedly looking into the man’s claims, which mimic other allegations made dating back to 2009.

The CEO of Angelbeat, a company that holds seminars about technology information, told CNN damage to a phone’s circuit board or the use of third-party charging devices can cause the battery to overheat and spew hot lithium – but this rarely happens.

“There have been millions if not billions of phones sold in the last year, the rate of incidents is marginal, it’s infinitesimal,” Angelbeat’s Erik Johnson said.

Johnson’s lawyer did not tell CNN if his client planned to press charges.

“Obviously Apple has to take a closer look at what they’re putting out in the stream of commerce before they go out and sell these items that could potentially be this dangerous,” said Johnson’s lawyer, Mike Della.

CNN contributed to this story.