Three patients at a Kansas hospital have died after eating Blue Bell Creameries ice cream tainted with listeria, health officials said.
A total of five people were infected with life-threatening listeriosis beginning in January 2014, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced Friday. The outbreak was linked to products made on a single production line at the company's plant in Brenham, Texas, officials said. The outbreak has prompted the first product recall in the company's history.
The latest death occurred two months ago, according to the FDA, which did not release the name of the hospital.
Listeria bacteria were found in Blue Bell Creameries' single-serving Chocolate Chip Country Cookie Sandwiches, No Sugar Added Mooo Bars, Sour Pop Green Apple Bars, Great Divide Bars, Vanilla Stick Slices and Almond Bars, the company said in a statement.
Click here to read the full story on LATimes.com.