A North Carolina man was once again facing child abuse charges after photos of the alleged abuse went viral this week on Facebook, according to KTLA sister station WGHP.
Kyle Christopher Fox was accused of beating Craig and Leigh Hollars' 2-year-old daughter in October 2013. However, the charges were dropped earlier this week because witnesses did not show up in court.
On Wednesday afternoon, Craig Hollars posted photos showing the alleged abuse on Facebook. Within 24 hours, his post has been shared over 60,000 times.
In the post, Hollars explains he and his wife were devastated when charges were dropped earlier this week.
"After 2 years of waiting hoping praying and in and out of court, today the wonderful justice system of Forsyth County decided to dismiss all charges because the witnesses from Hardees who I should mention have been to the previous 11 hearings didn't show up today. Even though the witnesses have been at every previous court hearing, for whatever reason they dismissed the charges today," Hollars wrote.
He continued that he simply wanted justice for his daughter and that he felt the system had failed his little girl.
"So what I want to say to Forsyth County Winston Salem courthouse judges police anybody who supposedly enforces the law is, YOU FAILED. our justice system failed," he wrote.
But On Thursday, after the post went viral, the Forsyth County District Attorney announced charges were being re-filed against Fox in connection with the alleged abuse.
Back in 2013, the Hollars said they trusted their neighbor and friend to babysit their youngest child, a 2-year-old girl.
Leigh Hollars first realized something was wrong when a police officer called her asking about bruising on her daughter’s face.
“I get to Baptist Hospital and they tell me that they think that she's been beaten. I walk around the corner and my daughter is black and blue. From head to toe," Leigh Hollars said.
The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office investigated and said they had enough evidence and witnesses to proceed with charges in May 2014. The Hollars’ babysitter’s husband allegedly beat the little girl the bathroom of the Walkertown Hardee’s on Old Hollow Road.
Fox was charged with misdemeanor child abuse on May 9, 2014. He was arrested by the Winston-Salem Police Department on May 24, 2014. Since then, the case has been repeatedly continued in court.
On Wednesday, the Hollars believed they were going to court for the last time. But when they arrived, they were told the charges against Fox were dropped.
The county District Attorney’s Office said necessary witnesses for prosecution were not present to testify at trial.
Craig insisted, “I'm supposed to let the court system handle it and the court system failed. I could have done a better job myself. And I promise you he'd never have hurt another child again.”
While the Hollars took their frustration to Facebook, the District Attorney’s office was working to re-charge Fox. This time, he is also facing a felony charge.
“Kyle C. Fox was re-charged today with one count of misdemeanor child abuse, as well as the additional charges of felony assault by strangulation and misdemeanor assault on a child under the age of 12,” the DA's office wrote in a press release.
A warrant was issued, but authorities said that Fox had not turned himself in yet.
“I just don't want anyone else to have to go through this and I know on a daily basis it happens,” said Leigh Hollars. “People told us, ‘Oh, your daughter won’t remember any of this. She’s only 2 years old.’ But she still wakes up screaming and kicking from nightmares.”
In addition to the child abuse charges, Fox has four pending court dates in Forsyth County for numerous charges, including disorderly conduct in a public building, possessing drug paraphernalia, driving while license revoked, assault with a deadly weapon and communicating threats.
He also has a criminal history of convictions in North Carolina. Among them, driving while intoxicated, felony possession of drugs, carrying a concealed weapon, breaking and assault on female.