Authorities Digging at San Gabriel Valley Home in Connection With 2009 Missing-Person Case

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Sheriff's and coroner's investigators Thursday were conducting a dig in the backyard of a San Gabriel Valley home as part of an investigation into the disappearance of adult who went missing in 2009, officials said.

Sheriff's and coroner's investigators are seen digging in the backyard of a home near La Puente on Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

Sheriff's and coroner's investigators are seen digging in the backyard of a home near La Puente on Thursday, Aug. 6, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

Authorities responded to a residence in the 700 block of Elsberry Avenue after receiving a tip, Lt. David Smith of the Los Angeles County coroner's office confirmed. The house is on a residential street in Valinda, a neighborhood in an unincorporated area next to La Puente.

"Information was received that the remains of the missing person were possibly buried at the location," a subsequent news release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department stated.

The coroner's digging team was joined by Homicide Bureau detectives, and the dig began about 7 a.m., sheriff's spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said.

Work continued through the afternoon, and aerial video from Sky5 showed investigators with buckets alongside multiple holes in the dirt. A coroner's truck was parked in front of the home.

A coroner's truck was parked in front a Valinda home where authorities were searching for possible human remains on Aug. 6, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

A coroner's truck was parked in front a Valinda home where authorities were searching for possible human remains on Aug. 6, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

The Thursday morning operation was related to a 2009 missing-persons case, Nishida said, adding that the name of the victim would not be immediately released.

The individual investigators were looking for did not live at the home, sheriff's Lt. Victor Lewandowski said.

"We're not releasing any specific information due to the sensitivity of the investigation," Lewandowski said.

The current residents were cooperating with detectives, authorities said.

A husband and wife lived in the home with two adult children, and that the family had been in the home for 12 to 15 years, according to neighbor Rosemary Moreno.

The father, mother and daughter were taken away by sheriff's investigators, she said.

"They're very quiet neighbors. The whole block -- it's really family oriented," Moreno said. "I'm really hoping that -- whatever's going on -- they find nothing."

The search was suspended due to darkness, but was set to resume Friday morning.

Anyone with information was asked to call the Sheriff's Department Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Those wishing to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

KTLA's Melissa Pamer contributed to this article.

More video: