A Victorville man on Tuesday received a sentence of more than 366 years to life in state prison after being convicted on 29 counts in a child sexual assault case that the prosecutor had previously called “one of the worst” she had been involved with in her career.
Luis Gilbert Sanchez, 32, was sentenced less than than a month after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting a young girl, according to a news release from the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.
The abuse lasted for for two years and started when the victim was just 6 years old, prosecutors said.
Sanchez was convicted on Aug. 24 of 20 counts of oral copulation with a child 10 years of age or younger, one count of sodomy of a child 10 or under, one count of sex with a child 10 or under, five counts of lewd act on a minor, one count of possession of matter depicting a minor engaging in sexual conduct and one count of exhibiting harmful matter to a minor, the news release stated.
The charges dated back to 2009, and the sexual abuse lasted until the female victim was 8, according to Lead Deputy District Attorney Kathy DiDonato, who prosecuted the case.
In an interview with the Los Angeles Times last month, DiDonato said Sanchez admitted to investigators that he documented the abuse in photographs and video. She added he also told them he liked “messy sex.”
“I’ve done a lot of terrible cases. This was one of the worst cases I’ve prosecuted,” DiDonato said in the interview. “You can’t articulate [what] was seen in this case. It’s the most bizarre sexual conduct I’ve ever seen.”
It was not known what relationship Sanchez had to the victim. Prosecutors have not disclosed that in an effort to protect the child’s identity.
“Thanks to the hard work of everybody involved in this case, we were able to secure justice for the victim,” DiDonato said in the news release. “This defendant will never prey on another child.”