The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office declined to file criminal charges against Bill Cosby in a pair of sexual assault allegations, according to a DA’s Office news release Wednesday.
The first of the allegations was made by a person described in court documents only as Jane Doe #1, who claimed she was forced to have sexual intercourse with Cosby in 1965, when she was 17 years old.
She claimed Cosby took her to a jazz club and bought her alcoholic beverages before forcibly raping her at an unknown residence in the Hollywood Hills.
The DA’s Office refused to consider the case due to the statute of limitations, according to the court documents.
The second charge involved an 18-year-old woman who said she was sexually assaulted by Cosby when she attended a party with a friend at the Playboy Mansion in the summer of 2008.
She said she felt dizzy and sick after drinking an alcoholic beverage provided to her by Cosby, who took her to an upstairs bedroom to lie down.
When she awoke, she had been undressed and allegedly found Cosby at the foot of the bed biting her toe.
Investigators were unable find Cosby’s name on any of the guest lists for the Playboy Mansion in the summer of 2008, but his name did appear on a list for an event in February.
Two potential misdemeanor charges against Cosby were dismissed due to the statute of limitations.
Possible felony charges not barred by the statute of limitations, including sexual assault by intoxication of an unconscious victim and assault with the intent to commit a sex offense, were also considered.
“However, there is no evidence to support the filing of these crimes. Consequently, after evaluating all potential charges, there is insufficient evidence to prove these crimes beyond a reasonable doubt,” the documents read.
Cosby was arraigned on sexual assault charges in Pennsylvania last month.
Pennsylvania law has a 12-year statute of limitations for sexual assault cases, a window that would have closed in early 2016, CNN reported.
The judge in that case set his bail at $1 million and ordered him to surrender his passport. Cosby did not enter a plea.
Cosby posted bail following the arraignment.