Mount San Antonio College Evacuated Amid Possible Bomb Threat; Walnut High School on Lockdown

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Students leave the campus of Mount San Antonio College after a possible bomb threat on March 24, 2016. (Credit: Louie Ortega)

A community college in the Walnut area was evacuated while a nearby high school was placed on lockdown because of possible bomb threats, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Deputies first received a report of a threat to Walnut High School, located at 400 N. Pierre Rd., shortly before 10:30 a.m., said sheriff’s Lt. John Saleeby of the Walnut Sheriff’s Station.

The school was placed on lockdown and was never evacuated, according to Saleeby, contradicting earlier information from Sheriff’s Headquarters that evacuations had been ordered.

Students at the high school returned to campus at 12:40 p.m. after nothing was found. They would be let out at 1:20 p.m., Saleeby said.

Mount San Antonio College, which also received a possible bomb threat, was evacuated as authorities conducted precautionary walk-throughs of the campus, according to sheriff’s Deputy Saldana.

The decision to evacuate came from the school and not from the Sheriff’s Department, Saleeby said.

There was a report of a threat to the campus — which is located at 1100 N. Grand Ave. — at 2:45 p.m., the college tweeted in an emergency alert. Because of that, classes and services have been canceled until at least 4:30 p.m., the alert stated.

The college was given the “all clear” around 4:30 p.m. and classes resumed as normal, the Sheriff’s Department tweeted.

KTLA’s Feven Kiflegiorgis and Jennifer Thang contributed to this story.