Authorities released a sketch and asked the public for help Wednesday in identifying a man who attacked at least two people with a hammer-type weapon in the East Los Angeles area last month.
The victims were attacked in separate incidents on March 25, the first of which occurred in the 1400 block of South Bonnie Beach Place, a location where residential and industrial areas meet.
A man who attacked without provocation struck an elderly man with a hammer-type weapon then proceeded to kick the victim after he fell to the ground, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department stated in a news release.
The attacker then fled southbound on Bonnie Beach Place.
Investigators believe the same man appeared in the 4400 block of Triggs Street, a residential area a few blocks away, later in the day and attacked a second victim.
A woman was standing in front of a home when the attacker struck her in the head several times with a hammer-type weapon and then fled when she fell to the ground unconscious, the Sheriff’s Department stated.
The attacker was described as a Hispanic man with a goatee, between 40 and 50 years old, standing about 6 feet tall and weighing between 200 and 240 pounds.
He was believed to have fled in a 1990s dark colored Toyota Tacoma, extended cab.
He wore a hat, sunglasses, a blue windbreaker, brown cargo shorts and white shoes.
Both victims were taken to local hospitals and were listed in serious condition.
On Thursday, another woman came forward after seeing the sketch of the attacker.
The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told KTLA the sketch looked like the man who threatened her with a hammer in El Sereno on Monday.
The woman said she reported the incident to authorities but had not heard back yet from investigators.
Anyone who recognizes the man in the sketch was asked to contact authorities at 323-264-4151 or 323-981-5052.
Those who wish to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477).
Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article included surveillance video that business owners told KTLA they believed showed the man wanted in hammer attacks in the East L.A. area. The video has been removed from the story after sheriff’s Deputy Sara Rodriguez on Saturday told KTLA that the man in that video is not a suspect in the case.