Costa Mesa Boy Saves Home From Fire After Doing What His ‘Daddy’ Taught Him

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A 7-year-old Costa Mesa boy was being credited Monday with saving his home after spotting a fire in the garage and quickly alerting his father, fire officials said.

The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Saturday at a home in the 3000 block of Warren Lane, according to a tweet from the Costa Mesa Fire Department.

The boy was getting ready for bed when he smelled smoke and realized the attached garage was on fire, fire Capt. Chris Coates told the Daily Pilot.

The child woke up his father, who had fallen asleep watching television, and both were able to safely escape, Coates told the newspaper.

When Coates asked the boy how he knew what to do, the boy replied, “My daddy taught me,” the Daily Pilot reported.