Authorities have arrested a homeless man in the slaying of a 41-year-old actor and surfer who was found dead inside a Hollywood Hills home last month.
Police were called to the home in the 6700 block of Milner Avenue on Sept. 23, where they found the body of Richard Hong.
Hong was apparently the victim of a homicide and his body showed signs of blunt-force trauma, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
A witness told police they saw a black man with a thin build and short hair running from the area.
An arrest in the case was confirmed Tuesday morning by Sgt. Gregory Probst with the Police Department.
The suspect is homeless and was involved in a previous assault case outside of Los Angeles County, the Los Angeles Times reported. Police confirmed he was a young homeless man who was arrested out of state and was awaiting extradition to California.
Authorities did not release his name.
Neighbors said a man was seen walking through the residential area, knocking on doors and asking for food. That man's description matched that given by witnesses who saw a man running from the house where Hong was found, local resident Sean Neel said.
The home is rented by Canadian radio and television personality George Stroumboulopoulos, who tweeted that Hong had been staying the home and was a "dear friend" of his.
Another friend said he'd been texting with Hong just hours before his body was found.
"I'm in shock. What's going through my mind is just the randomness of this," Abdi Manavi said the day his friend was killed. "Someone knocks on your door and you open it and that's the end."
The Hong family released a statement to KTLA thanking LAPD detectives for their work on the case and expressing relief that a suspect was arrested.
The statement read, in part:
The Hong Family is continuing to deal with the devastating loss of our beloved son and brother, Richard. We have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of support and love we have received from friends and family both in the US and Canada. We are trying to deal with this tragedy, but the loss has left a void for all of us that will leave us heartbroken forever. We are filled with deep sorrow over a life that was taken too early.
The family also asked for privacy and said no relatives would be speaking.
KTLA's Stephen Acosta and Melissa Pamer contributed to this report.