3 Firefighters Hospitalized Due to ‘Electrical Shock’ From Downed Power Lines in Long Beach

Three firefighters called to a blaze in Long Beach were hospitalized Friday morning after they were shocked by power lines that fell and energized a chain link fence.

Firefighters battle a blaze in Long Beach on Oct. 7, 206. (Credit: OnScene.TV)

Firefighters battle a blaze in Long Beach on Oct. 7, 206. (Credit: OnScene.TV)

Emergency crews found four garages engulfed in flames when they were called to the 5300 block of Cedar Avenue at about 1:36 a.m., said Public Information Officer Jake Heflin with the Long Beach Fire Department.

The attic area of a vacant attached apartment unit was also involved in the fire, Heflin said.

As firefighters were battling the blaze, some nearby power lines fell, Heflin said.

"In the process of going down it energized a portion of a fence and the building,” Heflin said.

Three firefighters “experienced an electrical shock” as a result and eventually were taken to the hospital after “feeling sick,” Heflin said.

All of the firefighters were in stable condition and were expected to be OK, Heflin said.

There was no immediate word on a possible cause of the fire.